When you find mold in your home or office building, many times it is easy to draw a blank on everything we’ve been told about mold. There are 10 things that every home owner and business owner needs to know about mold. Keep in mind the following when dealing with any type of mold:
- The key to mold control is moisture control.
- If the mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold and promptly fix the water problem.
- It is important to dry water damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
10 Things You Need To Know About Mold
- Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or work environment, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, washing dishes, and cleaning.
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a continuous moisture problem, do not install carpeting.
- Mold can be found almost anywhere. Mold spores can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. Molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
When do you call in the professionals? If you feel that there is problem or that your health or surroundings have been compromised, call a professional mold remediation company. Sunrise Cleaning, has high tech equipment that helps determine the scope of the mold problem. We also have high tech equipment that helps dehumidify the area and your belongings.
Look for tomorrow’s email that explains when to call in the mold remediation professionals and what professional mold remediation involves. If you haven’t signed up for our email newsletters you may do so by following the link below. Sunrise Cleaning wants you to have the latest information from the professionals as well as exclusive offers and discounts offered only to our email subscribers.