One of the many aspects of cleaning I frequently obsess over, is tile and grout cleaning. I find grout cleaning to be incredibly frustrating. If you didn’t install the tile yourself, chances are you don’t even know the original color of your grout. Really gets you thinking, huh? Grout cleaning is a process, but by first understanding a little bit about grout and then using these tips, you can survive the grout cleaning process.
Here are a few points to help you grasp why grout cleaning is so gosh darn difficult:
- Grout is porous: mold, dirt and other particles get trapped inside.
- Grout has a noticeably rough texture, perfect for trapping dirt.
- Grout can fade and become discolored. This happens gradually over time, most people don’t even notice.
- Grout is known for trapping particles: kitchen grout traps grease, bathroom grout traps soap scum and mold, and floor tiles trap lots and lots of dirt.
- Luckily, grout is very durable, just monstrous to clean.
There are countless methods for grout cleaning, but almost all of them involve:
- Hours of research to find the perfect DIY blog
- Peculiar mixtures of chemicals
- Hours & HOURS of scrubbing on your hands and knees
While the right DIY method could be great for periodical upkeeep, we recommend seeking the help of the professionals to get that good deep clean. Certain chemicals can be harmful to the grout, and harmful to you if used incorrectly. Save yourself the stress, and get a professional cleaning. If only we could get our grout professionally cleaned as often as weekly; but that’s not always budget friendly so here are some grout cleaning tips:
- Use a vacuum: sweeping won’t be able to reach into the porous grout, but a vacuum can. Try using a vacuum a couple times a week to keep dirt from building up in your grout
- Try natural cleaning products: baking soda or vinegar can be great alternatives for harsher chemicals.
- Ask for a sealant with a professional cleaning: not only will this get your grout back its sparkle, but help protect it and keep it clean longer.
Sunrise Cleaning are your local Idaho experts for tile and grout cleaning. We use effective cleaners to loosen the dirt and then remove it completely from tile and grout. We will also apply a sealer that prevents further accumulation of dirt and stains. Allow us to renew the appearance of all your tile and grout: showers, floors, and countertops. Contact us today to schedule a NO COST inspection of your tile and grout!